I had been craving English muffins or something similar to make breakfast sandwiches or little burgers. I scoped out some recipes and even bough a muffin top pan. Before I sampled any existing recipes, I made my own…. and was so pleased with the results, I have decided to share it with you all! These keto English muffins/buns use flaxseed meal, which gives them a nutty flavor, high fiber, and omega-3’s. I have seen studies that link flaxseed meal to improved PCOS conditions, and have even supplemented with them as medicine in the past, so of course I like to include them whenever I can. At only 200 calories a serving (and 3g net carbs), these are less filling than other recipes on the internet, plus they maintain their springiness and can be toasted for extra crunch! I can’t wait to use these for Eggs Benedict and egg-salad sandwiches. For warm and savory biscuits, use cheddar cheese in place of mozzarella, garlic, and perhaps some green chile. For everything bagel type toppings, use poppy seeds, onion flakes, garlic, and sesame seeds sprinkled on top.
Keto English Muffins/Buns/Biscuits
- 1/4 cup mild cheese, such as mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- optional: dash of sweetener to taste (I used 1 tsp erythritol)
- optional: spices (garlic, onion, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, etc.)
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan (or the microwave), melt together cheese and butter just until soft, mixing well.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Gently blend the cheese and butter mixture with the dry ingredients in the bowl, mixing well. Be sure to use a spatula to scrape out the melted mixture from the saucepan.
- Add eggs to mixture and mix well until everything is evenly incorporated.
- In a nonstick muffin top pan, fill each slot to the top with mixture, spreading evenly inside the space.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the English muffins have firmed and are beginning to turn golden, then remove from oven.
- Optional: Slice each muffin in half, and spread open on a pan (or in the other half of your muffin top pan, if you have enough space) and place back in the oven to let the insides dry and crisp up a bit. I found the insides to be a bit moist, so I turned the oven off and let them sit in there for another 10 minutes or so. You may also place the halves in a toaster!
- For best results, store in a sealed container in the fridge or even freezer!
Nutritional Info (per serving):
- Calories: 200
- Total fat: 17 g
- Total carbs: 8 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Net carbs: 3 g
- Protein: 9 g
Photo 1: BBSP Keto English Muffin/Bun/Biscuit with Hempfu (hemp tofu), Mayo, Cheese, Sprouts, and Greens
Photo 2: BBSP Keto English Muffin/Bun/Biscuit with Homemade Pesto and Egg